Sts. Vartanantz Church was founded in 1957 and the Church was consecrated on May 2, 1959. Affiliated with the Catholicate of Cilicia, Sts. Vartanantz was established in 1957 by the petition of parishioners in Northern New Jersey, who wanted to have their own church. The Church was named Sts. Vartanantz to commemorate the heroic struggle of its patron saints. In 451 the Armenian army led by Vartan Mamigonian, fought against the fire-worshipping King Yazgert, who wanted to force the Armenians to turn back from their Christian faith.